Is A Rear-Facing Camera On A Tablet Important To You?

Discussion in 'General Mobile Tablet Discussions' started by Marc, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Marc Forum Administrator

There are mobile computer tablets that come with a built-in rear facing camera. When considering to get yourself a tablet, is this rear-facing camera a major factor to you when purchasing a tablet?
  2. dilawer Forum Moderator

Nope, not at all. Have you imagined taking a picture with a tablet? I mean it looks kinda dumb, lol. Front camera is all I need on a tablet.
  3. Johnson Yip I Got The Good Stuff

Yes, if I am paying $299 for a tablet, I expect it would come with a rear camera. But, $50-250 dollar tablets would be fine even if they don't have rear cameras since most good tablets like the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Nook HD don't have rear cameras.

Taking pictures and videos with a tablet looks dumb when there are other people around, and if you are very self-concious about your looks and image to others when you are out in public, but if you are a more open and non-self concisous person, and don't care about your image to others, taking pictures with a tablet can be fine.
  4. Jessi BBM Crazy Member

It does look pretty dumb. I attended a conference last year and in one of the seminars, there were a bunch of people taking pictures on their ipads. It's bad enough when there are lots of people holding up iphones, but tablets now, too?

It's nice to have the option to do it occasionally. I like having a camera on mine. But I rarely use it and I don't feel the need to have a lot of features with it.
  5. Avent Forum Moderator

The camera on my Playbook is great however I am not bothered either way as I still use my digital camera more to take pictures when needed.
  6. Adriana Highly Addictive User

I think that photo cameras should be in charge of taking photos! Not tablets :rolleyes: It looks so silly when you see someone holding up a tablet. The last person I saw taking a picture with her tablet was a lady at a boxing match, I had to stop myself from laughing because the 2 people in the ring really punched each other hard.... It would have been weird.
  7. sagarsaw Let Go My AnDroid

As far as my existing tablet is concerned,I have an iPad 2,which does have a rear camera.But that doesn't serve the purpose because it's a mediocre camera.The newer versions of iPad have a better 5 Megapixel rear camera which is pretty handy.But in my case the iPad 2's rear camera is a bummer :(.
  8. Johnson Yip I Got The Good Stuff

A rear camera may be important to a news reporter or online video maker like Smosh, Ray William Johnson, and Nigahiga if they want to capture something, and the only camera which they have quick access to is a tablet rear camera, a rear camera would be useful to them.

For example, if you see a metroid, asteroid, escaped zoo animal or something strange like a giant squid, big foot, or the lochness monster, and you are holding your tablet which is ON, all you need to do is launch the camera app, and hit record, or hit the record button on higher end tablets with a physical camera, or video recorder button.
  9. agarwal99 New Kid on the Block

A tablet with a good camera can be pretty handy, though it does look silly, and the picture quality is not necessarily nice. Digital camera for meh! :D
  10. lowrider.STi Let Go My AnDroid

Not as important as the front facing one. I've seen some pictures from a concerts where a dude was keeping taking pictures with his tablet. If you ask me, that's kinda awkward.
  11. Johnson Yip I Got The Good Stuff

Indeed, it is awkward, but maybe the guy forgot to charge his camera, or smartphone, so the only photo-taking device with a chrged battery is a tablet.

Must be annoying standing, or sitting behind him with his tablet blocking the view of the concert if he uses a very big tablet.